Enrolbuddy - Study Abroad Application Platform in Australia

A step-by-step guide to getting the Australian Student Visa for International Students

The opportunity to study in Australia, which is home to some of the top universities in the world, is an exciting one. However, there are many important details to be finalized before moving to a different country. One of those is successfully obtaining a student visa which is the Student visa (subclass 500). It will not only get you on track for your studies but also open up the possibility of obtaining a post-study work visa (subclass 485).

Before you start your journey you might have many questions on your mind:
How do I start applying for an Australian student visa?
What are the requirements to obtain an Australian student visa?
Will COVID-19 impact the process?

To put your mind at ease, we are here to guide you through the process of successfully applying for a student visa. 

The first step is to evaluate which visa will suit your requirements

1) Are you applying for a short program? For example, a language course for 12 weeks. In that case, a tourist visa is suitable for you.
2) Are you applying for a course that will take 16 weeks to complete? Then you can apply for a working holiday visa.
3) For university studies and longer programs, you will need to apply for a student visa.

Explore your visa options for studying in Australia via the Australian Department of Home Affairs’ website.

About Australian Student Visa (Subclass 500)

The Student visa (subclass 500) allows you to live, work and study in Australia for a maximum of 5 years. This visa allows you to work a maximum of 40 hours per fortnight during your term time and unlimited hours during study breaks. You can work immediately upon arrival in Australia without waiting for your course to start.
For more information, you can visit the Australian Government’s Department of Home Affairs website.

Note: The government has announced a temporary relaxation of student work visa limits, under which international students can work more than 40 hours a fortnight in all sectors of the economy. Students can work before their course commences. This also includes secondary applicants.

This is a temporary arrangement and will be reviewed by the Government in April 2022. Check back regularly for updates.​


Scope of your subclass 500 visa

  • You can study in your desired course
  • Your family members can accompany you to Australia 
  • You can apply in or outside Australia through an online portal

What are the processing time and fees for Student Visa?

The processing times vary from person to person.
1) 75% of applications are processed within 29 days.
2) 90% of applications are processed within 42 days. 

The student visa fee is AUD 630 per visa application* unless you are exempt.

How to apply for Student Visa

Let’s take you through the application process step by step and the requirements you will need to meet to ensure your application gets approved.

1) Apply to a school and receive a Confirmation of Enrolment

You should be enrolled in a CRICOS registered course to be eligible to obtain a student visa.
If your application is successful you will receive a Letter of Offer from the school. Once you accept the offer in writing and pay the tuition deposit you will receive a Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE). This document is needed to begin your visa application process.

EnrolBuddy can help you with your application to colleges and universities in Australia.
Let’s begin with finding the right college for you today!

2) Gather the following documents

  • Confirmation of Enrolment
    The CoE is sent after you have accepted your letter of offer at a university and paid your fees. You have to attach a copy of this document to your visa application so that the government can verify you are registered at the university.

  • An Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC)
    OSHC insurance is required for the duration of your stay in Australia otherwise your student visa application will be denied. The insurance covers your medical care, pays for prescription medicines, and provides ambulance cover for emergencies in Australia.

  • A valid Passport
    It should be valid for the entirety of your stay in Australia to avoid the hassle of renewing it when you are on a student visa.

  • Genuine Temporary Entrant (GTE) requirement
    This is proof of temporary stay which certifies that you only plan to stay temporarily in Australia to complete your studies. In your statement attach proof of employment or a letter from your school in your home country or similar documents that can support your claim.

  • Proof of Funds
    You must show that you have money to cover all your costs and expenses such as travel, course fees, and rent during your stay in Australia.
    For this you can either:
    1) Submit bank documents, proof of grants, or scholarships as proof of funds.
    2) Show proof that your parent’s or partner’s annual income is AUD 62,222 in the year before you apply.

Proof of English proficiency
As a non-native English speaker, you must submit proof that you have the minimum proficiency levels needed to succeed in your given course. This included certified grade reports and IELTS-test results.

Academic Documents
The academic documents you need to submit including the result of your English Language Skills test will vary depending on the course you are applying to.
You can contact our EnrolBuddy education partners if you need any advice or support.

Additional ID documents such as birth certificates are also needed. All your documents should be uploaded in digital format if you are applying online.

3. Complete and pay fees for your Visa Application
You can apply for student visa subclass 500 124 days before your course starts.
Complete your application by filling in your nationality, CoE codes, personal details, details about your previous education and work experience, etc.

Once your application is completed you have to pay a fee of AUD 575. When the application and payment are done you will get a receipt with a Transaction Reference Number (TRN)

5) Medical Health Certificate

All international students are required to be in good health before entering the country. You may have to undergo a health examination and provide a medical certificate for the same.

6) Visa Interview

Depending on where you will study and where you live you might also need to undergo a visa interview. You will receive information if you are applicable when you complete the application.

7) Receive your Student Visa

You will most likely get a response regarding your visa application within one or a couple of weeks once your application is complete. You will be notified via email once your visa is ready. In the meantime, you can track the status of your application by logging onto the immigration website.

8) Fly to Australia

Once you have obtained your visa, you can enter Australia at least 90 days before the commencement of your course. Your visa shows how long you can stay in Australia after your course ends. Make sure to check all the instructions on your visa.

COVID-19 and visas

1) Existing and new student visa holders who undertake online study outside Australia because of COVID-19 will be able to count this study towards their Australian Study Requirement if they have a visa while studying remotely. https://covid19.homeaffairs.gov.au/temporary-graduate-visas

2) To make up for lost time due to COVID-19 international restrictions, Temporary Graduate (subclass 485) visa holders, if eligible, will have their visas extended to September 2022.
Until you can apply for a replacement Temporary Graduate visa from 1st July 2022, you can enter or remain in Australia to live and work. https://covid19.homeaffairs.gov.au/temporary-graduate-visas.

Are you enrolled in a university and require help in applying for your Australian student visa?
A small error may result in your visa getting refused. With EnrolBuddy you can ensure that your Australian student visa application has the best possible chance of success.